World Languages and Literatures Award for German Study Abroad
|Deadlines||Last day to submit|
|Spring 2019 Programs||January 18, 2019|
Summer 2019 Programs||March 18, 2019|
Fall 2019 Programs|| April 19, 2019|
This award is provided through the generous contribution of an anonymous donor for students with a declared major/minor in German who seek to study abroad in a German-speaking country. Award amounts are dependent upon the availability of funding and the number of recipients selected for award.
- Applicant must be in good academic standing.
- Applicant must have declared a major/minor in German and completed at least the 102 level of German by the time of application.
- Applicant must participate in a study abroad program in a German-speaking country approved by the Department of World Languages and Literatures and Office of Education Abroad. Language acquisition must be a major component of the study abroad program.
- Preference will be given to students pursuing a semester or year-long study abroad program.
Each applicant must submit the following:
Terms and Conditions
- A completed online application by the published deadline. Application and deadlines can be found on the websites of World Languages and Literatures and the Office of Education Abroad.
- A letter of recommendation from a faculty member, preferably a German language professor.
- An essay of 500-750 words addressing the following:
- How the study of German language relates to the applicant’s academic, career, and/or personal goals.
- The applicant’s goals for the study abroad program and how the applicant plans to achieve these goals. Applicants should be as specific as possible in describing how they plan to achieve their goals while abroad.
Application Review Process
- Awards will not be posted to recipient’s account until the Office of Education Abroad has verified acceptance and enrollment in an approved study abroad program.
- As a condition of award, the recipient agrees to share his/her study abroad experience with foreign language students and faculty via a talk, presentation, or article in a university publication.
- As a condition of award, the recipient must fulfill to at least one hour of volunteer service with the Office of Education Abroad.
- The Department of World Languages and Literatures will confirm eligibility of all applicants. Applications from eligible applicants will be reviewed and award recommendations made by a committee consisting of: German language faculty member, chair, Dept. of World Languages and Literatures, representative, Office of Education Abroad.